I will help with the red peppers, mom!
- 2lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 (28oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15oz) can kidney or pinto beans
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and green onions to serve
- Tortilla chips to accompany
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and the garlic and sauté until translucent. Make sure you stir constantly so you don’t burn the garlic!
- Add the bell peppers and cook for a couple of minutes, until tender.
- Add the turkey and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon (or even a potato masher).
- Add the black beans, the kidney (or pinto) beans, the crushed tomatoes, the diced tomatoes, the chicken (or vegetable) stock, the chili powder, brown sugar, hot sauce, oregano, basil, garlic powder, sea salt and cayenne pepper (if using) and stir until everything is combined.
- Once the chili boils, lower the heat to low and let it simmer uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes or until it thickens.
- Top it off with the green onions, a handful of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream and serve!
Love ya lots♥