Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Stare Down

A couple of days ago, Mom let me out in my yard to do my business.   Normally, she follows right along behind me but this time, she didn't.  The realtor had been here with lookers and they hadn't latched my gate so mom went to go and latch it.
Once she did that, she was on her way to find me so she can make sure that I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
She came around the corner and there I am nose to nose in a stare down with a HUGE fat woodchuck!  Obviously, mom didn't have her camera so you will just have to believe us.  The only difference is that this picture needs to be reversed.   The woodchuck's back is next to the chain link fence and I'm staring him down from the opposite direction. 
 The woodchuck lives underneath that shed that's on the other side of the fence behind me.    Uncle Tom feeds him, so there is no way he's leaving.   Heck, would you?
So here we are - me and the woodchuck - eye to eye.
Mom SCREAMED for me to "COME" and of course, I ignored her.
I think all of her frantic commotion scared the woodchuck worse than I scared him.   He turned and SQUEEZED himself underneath the chain link gate that separates Uncle Tom's yard and my yard.   Mom and I stood there in awe.  We have no clue how he got his fat porky little body underneath the gate.    There is only 2 inches clearance.   He had to have scraped his belly up and gored his back pretty good but we didn't see any damage on him.    He just ran for the cover of his hole underneath the shed!
 How did he ever get under there?!
 And don't come back - EVER!
 I scared him away mom!  It was all my doing!
 You're superduper proud of me, right!
Mom is so relieved that neither one of us got hurt.   
That will teach you to follow me when you let me out from now on, mom - at least until the snow flies!

Love ya lots♥
Molly




20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! That must have been pretty scary!! We have lots of groundhogs living under the shed in our yard too. We do NOT feed him...but he is quite ROUND as he has a pretty steady diet of our apple and cherry trees! We hope that your groundhog does not come out and bother you anymore!! Be careful Molly! (and Mom too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done bravo apaws apaws you are the winner of the stare-battle! maybe he came to you as he was much thinner and smaller and he found so much food that he couldn't fit under the fence no longer? that happened to the mama too as she came to my dad... she furst was small and thin and now... well ya now heheheheh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew! That was pretty scarey. You do know that if you scare the humans, they will forget to pass out treats.

    Teka

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOLLY I heard a squeal from the north the other day must have been your mom. I suspect the woodchuck is kinda like the cat...they say if a cat's head fits..the rest of his body will too. Fat little guy must have inhaled a big breath then made a dash....no as long as it is being fed it will not leave. MOLMOL smart little guy!
    Hugs madi your bfff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joey dog and I cornered a woodchuck in our yard once. It turned and hissed at us. We would have done epic battle with it, but it darted into the back door of the garage. We doggies got locked out until the woodchuck finally zoomed out the front of the garage. We never saw it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. I like the comment that when your Mom called you you ignored her!!! That would be Treacle all over!!! I am so glad it resolved itself without anyone being harmed. I cannot believe the Woodchuck got under that gate either. You did well defending your Mom Molly. Hugs, Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That would have been so scary! You are definitely a super hero girl now. That woodchuck could have chucked you. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncle Tom has no idea what trouble he is causing and such distress for your poor Mom. We can't believe he got under that fence. We always wonder how the dumb bunnies get in our yard since it is so well fenced. But they manage somehow. Glad you were OK.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uncle Tom's Cabin....BOL! What a cheeky woodchuck! Doesn't he know what that fence is for? We're glad you got him out of YOUR garden...with a bit of help from mum. And you did the terrier thing....don't come when there's work to be done...good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good you scared him away! They must be like mice who can get in very tight holes
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a close call. Good thing neither of you were hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good thing he wasn't a woodchuck with a temper! I would have been scared for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done you!! I have never seen a woodchuck in person, I don't want to!
    DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi hi hi! Ojo here! Woodchuck???? I have never smelled such a thing! I am very good at catching things like squirrels and bunnies and muscrat, perhaps I could come help you with your Woodchuck? Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh you must be very brave!!!! I don't know what a woodchuck is but it looks very scary. I chase possums here and sometimes they sit on the power line out the front of our house and we have stare offs for hours!!!
    well done!
    Lots of licks, your good friend Morrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, way to go, Molly! Thank goodness that you are so intimidating that the woodchuck flattened himself like a cartoon character to go under the fence. Your mom was great backup for you!!!!!

    I am relieved too... I hear that woodchucks can be pretty ferocious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Molly, you're a HERO!!!! Way to go!
    Yours sincerely,
    Margaret Thatcher

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello molly its dennis the vizsla dog oh hay wow that wudchukkit must be sum kind of alien kreetcher to be aybel to skweez thru a tiny opening like that!!! or maybe he is a relayshun to the eevildooer frum the faymus teevee dokyoomentry the x files yoo no hoo i meen the guy wot cud krawl thru ventilayshun dukts!!! be kayrful molly that guy from the x files wuz reely kreepy!!! ok bye

    ReplyDelete