Mom was hungry for her mom's Sour Cream Coffee Cake but her mom used it make it in a tube pan and that's just too large so mom cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8" X 8" pan.
- Lightly grease an 8x8'' baking pan.*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine topping ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and mix. Add sour cream and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into your prepared pan and smooth into an even bottom layer.
- Sprinkle half of the topping mixture over the top. Spoon remaining batter on top and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle remaining topping mixture over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with few crumbs.
- Check the mixture about half way through baking --you may want to put a piece of tinfoil over the top to keep the top from browning too much.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.