Sunday, June 25, 2017

A BIG Problem

We have a big problem.   A few days ago, mom let me out to do my business and I spotted a woodchuck in MY yard and I race after him and chased him out.  Luckily, he had an escape route underneath the fence.
 Mom was beyond upset about this and asked the intermuts for help.    She discovered that if Mr Woodchuck is cornered, he can be aggressive and I could be injured.   No way is she going to let this happen so she read up on what she could put in the path of his escape route so he won't want to come back into my yard.  She discovered that they don't like the smell of dog poo so she piled some there and they don't like cayenne pepper so she sprinkled that on top of the poo.
And all has been well until last past Saturday.
Mr Woodchuck had dug a new entrance route into my yard underneath the fence closer to the garden area (which btw, has very few plants in it.)   Mom sowed nasturtium seeds to crawl around and take up space and they germinated and apparently, he's after those.
 So now what?  I love my yard and Mackie and I love to play together in my yard but mom will not let either one of us be injured by this PIA creature!
There are a lot of them in my neighborhood.  They live underneath the house next door and Mrs Woodchuck is having little ones! She and her family of three have all been in MY yard happily munching away.
 Mom is telling me that I may have to be leased in MY own yard!   There goes all of my fun until winter when they hibernate!   Sure, she can pile more poo at this new entrance.  It's free and we have a lot of it.   But we are thinking that the woodchucks will only dig more holes underneath my fence in a different locations and that's not good.  
We have a real problem here and Mackie and I are both sad and mom is totally frustrated and mad!    She has decided to dig up the nasturtiums and toss them and watch to see if the woodchucks lose interest.   Cross your paws and hope that it all works out soon!

Love ya lots♥
Molly

14 comments:

  1. Could you plant some sort of spikey plant/bush that they would not like to dig under or around? How about some holly? We have found that any critters don't like wild garlic either which has a very strong pungent smell, don't know if you have this in the US. We also have over here pellets made of lion droppings and that stops a lot of animals in their tracks. Hope these suggetions help. Hugs, Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, NO! That's no fun if you can't play in your own yard! I'm sorry I have no brilliant suggestions.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Now. Will animal control cage them? I know they will do that here with skunks. If not maybe you can. They do sometimes let you borrow cages and then they will remove them for you. Check it out! You could lead them to believe that they were aggressive to the dogs and your scared!
    Hope they stay away or get caught. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! Welcome to our world. We always have to do a full-yard recon before Maggie and I are allowed in ours -- and usually even then Maggie has to be leashed. Or at least drag the long leash behind her, just in case. It's not fair -- it's OUR yard!
    Before Mags and I got here, I understand there was an issue with a skunk and her babies. Mom and the neighbor contracted an animal control guy - he set up live traps, caught everyone (eventually) and re-homed them out in the country. Maybe that would work?
    Cammie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there are other things you could try? I hope they stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are getting lots of good suggestions. We sure hope your Mama can do something so you can get back out in your yard!!!
    xoxo
    Arty & Jakey

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a number living in our yard and because of this (and other wildlife) Phod goes out on leash and if the coast is clear gets to be free. Lee is always on leash and has killed one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joey dog and I cornered a woodchuck once. It wasn't very nice and hissed at us. Then it ran into the garage. Oh, the mayhem that ensued! It finally exited out the front door of the garage and has never come back. We still see those guys around the neighborhood, but not often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, this doesn't sound very good! I've never heard of these little creatures before, but they don't sound very much fun to be around. We hope they decide to leave you guys in peace to enjoy having fun in your own yard! Ros and Oscar x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We hope that works, because it is YOUR yard and you need to run FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sure doesn't sound very fair that you have to be leashed in your yard. We are lucky that we have never had a woodchuck come into our fenced area but we do get rabbits in there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Get your cayenne shaker and just go around the entire perimeter of the yard! Don't wait for them to decide where to build a new entrance. And whenever your momma is picking up your poop, just put it all along the perimeter too. Preemptive strikes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have woodchucks we have skunks. I think they are living under my shed in the backyard. My sister said I could call Natural resources to come live trap them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, what a problem! We have a similar sort of thing at my vacation cottage, where there is a huge - and I mean huge, about five betres long - wombat hole under the house and I am scared Penny might investigate. A wombat in its hole would kill Penny by coming up under her and crushing her to death, I have been told. So when we are there, I am always watching Penny like a hawk as we enter the house. I don't take her there as much these days. BTW, I like wombats and wouldn't harm this one. I've thrown human faeces, dog faeces, human and dog urine, everything I can think of to make it unpleasant, but the wombat doesn't care.

    ReplyDelete