Saturday, March 10, 2018

My Rough Paws

As long as I can remember, I've have always had rough ugly paws.   Mom noticed lately that I was walking gingerly at times, like maybe something hurt.  I have been on the Dr Lyon's Hip and Joint Support that Chewy sent me and it seems to be working just fine.  I have been taking glucosamine support since I was a year old so she didn't think I had arthritis issues and then it dawned on her that maybe my rough feets were the issue.   She checked the intermuts and discovered that there is a condition called hyperkeratosis, also known as hairy dog feets.
 This condition can be caused by underlying health issues and we need to know that I don't have any of those!

 Mom has been putting treatment on my feets forever and nothing she uses makes them softer like they're supposed to be.
 These are my ugly front feets.   I have the hyperkeratosis on all 4 paws.  
 The vet did steal a whole vial of my blood and he did send me home with Vetoquinol omega fatty acids and I have to take 3 capsules a day - 2 for breakie and 1 for dindin.    He thinks that this could help me out while my thyroid levels and other stuffs are being checked out.  
 He also sent me home with this box that has a bottle inside.   He wants mom to collect my poo and mail it off for analysis.    How disgusting is that!   The mailman will never be my friend ever again!
 He also made me get on the scale and discovered that I had gained 6 pounds since last spring and he told mom that I needed to lose the weight that I had put on. 
I happen to think that I have a beautiful muscle butt with no fat whatsoever anyplace!
When we got home from the vet, I got to go for my walkie so I'm a happy girl once again.   My paws are crossed that mom doesn't take too many of my NECESSARY treats away from me while we wait for my vet to call back with results.
Love ya lots♥
Molly

15 comments:

  1. We are so sorry that the vet (a.k.a. "Old Poke n Stick" on some blogs) stole so much of your bloods. And we hope he gets some helpful results, and is not playing the "no definitive results" game with your Mum.

    Until then, Keep your footies dry and warm.

    Teka Toy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're sorry to hear your paws are bothering you. Our paws are crossed that the vet can figure out what is causing it and give you something to help you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! I hope that all of your tests come back terrier-ific! You can try Dr. Harvey's Healing Cream on your paws. I have a 10% discount code and it works miracles on the boys' boo-boos and rashes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey dog had that hyperkeratosis on his nose. It would always be kind of rough. We gave him a spoonful of olive oil or a pat of butter every day and it seemed to help. Anything we rubbed onto his nose would get licked off immediately. Hope your feet feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, with spring on the way, it'll be easier to drop those extra pounds. Fudge is having the same problem. The pounds just seem to sneak up on him. Morgan used to get mats and sometimes little pebbles lodged between her pads. Mom had to check her feet all the time. We all take thyroid meds. They help us feel better and keep our weigh down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It can't be much fun having rough paws. They must get sore too. Has your Mom ever tries Bag Balm. Mom uses it on her fingers in the winter when they crack so badly. We see a bag balm for pets on Chewy.com, but we don't know if it is the same product. You can find Bag Balm at most any pharmacy, Target, Walmart, etc. We hope your vet's suggestions and meds help a lot.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Molly you are an outdoorsy kinda gal so I expect the paws come with the territory BUT should you decide to hold paws with a special someone you need baby tush soft paws.

    We hope and purr your lab work will tell the tale of what is up.
    Hugs madi your bfff and FYI I'd hold your paws soft of rough

    ReplyDelete
  8. We think you might just have snow and ice feet. We have hairy feet, too. SHE just clips it--when we're cooperative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonder if the stuff they put on sled dogs paws would help?? Not sure what they call it. Hope all your tests will be fine!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about your sore paws! I hope you get good results from the vet.

    This is a very interesting post to us, because I think Penny may have something similar. I'll Google hyperkeratosis. Bathing her paws in warm salty water seems to help, but it's always a big problem. Thanks for giving me a direction to research.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, goodness! I've never heard of hyperkeratosis! I sure hope you can get feeling better!
    Why do vets always want our poo? Interesting.
    Are the capsules you're taking stinky fish oil? I love that stuff!
    Yours sincerely,
    Margaret Thatcher
    PS: We are trying to get back into the blog-visiting groove. We're sorry we've been absent. Mom's fault.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no you poor thing a visit to the vets but I am sure they will do all they can to make sure you stay very healthy. I always find that Treacle puts on weight during the winter as she is not as active but as soon as the good weather starts and she is up and about and out running around that the weight just falls off of her. I hope all is well when the results come in. Hugs, Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at those big feets! I hope they are better soon
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  14. Molly!! I am writing to you for my boy, McCree, who is also a Companions l’Aire pup!
    McCree is 7, and also has hyperkeratosis of the Paws. Have you found anything that works for your paws, since this post?
    When were you born? Maybe you and McCree are littermates?

    Are you on the Airedale Terrier Owner’s Group or Biteyface, on Facebook?

    Sending love!

    ReplyDelete