She tries to avoid desserts that use white flour and white sugar and she found this yummy whole wheat sweet potato bread.
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice - we used cloves because we didn't have allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) melted butter
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil - we used vege oil because we didn't have sunflower
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato - we used canned yams
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- If you haven’t already, make the mashed sweet potato: peel and chop 1 sweet potato into chunks. Simmer in water for 15-20 minutes or until the potato is soft enough to mash. Drain, let cool, and mash.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients from flour through salt.
- In a second bowl, combine the wet ingredients (butter through buttermilk) and stir to combine. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until just combined (the batter will be quite thick).
- Spread the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
And we ended up baking our loaf for 55 minutes.