Friday, July 27, 2007

Detective Mitch and the Bat

Mom discovered this morning that we have a bat hanging out inside our family room fireplace pit! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Can you see the little bugger? She heard his high pitched squeak at 5AM and that started her day off on the wrong foot!
You have to know that my mom HATES these things and is totally freaked out by them. She wonders why they were ever created! She causes quite the ruckus and screams anytime she sees one in the house! We used to get them on a regular basis until we put screening over the top of one of our chimneys and we haven't had a bat in the house (thank goodness) in years.
Well, a couple of weeks ago mom woke up at midnight and saw one flying in the hallway right outside the bedroom! She went nuts! She had every single light on in the house for three days!

We have a badminton racquet that dad uses to swat them with. Dad is not as upset by them as mom is. Mom makes it her mission to try and find out which room he's in so that she can close off a door and leave the little so-n-so in there till he croaks! She always seems to guess the wrong room (darn) and the next night the stupid bat further antagonizes us! They hide and sleep in the daytime and only come out at night. And we have so many hiding places in our house! They get behind quilts hanging on the wall and they'll hide behind curtains - you just never know! It's so eerie to have one fly right past you in the night or early in the morning!

So, dad finally relented and went on a hunt for mom this particular evening a couple of weeks ago when the bat came out of hiding and got active. One smash with the racquet and he was knocked out cold! yippeeeeeeeee!

Dad put the creature in a bag and took him outside and that was the last we heard from him. Mom has no idea if he came back to life or died and honestly, she could care less - trust me! Please don't think my mom hates animals! She doesn't! Bats and snakes are #1 and #2 on her list!

So getting back to our problem at hand - Mitch now knows that there's a bat in the fireplace and Mitch never says die! This little dude will stay on a case like you can't believe! They say the females are the hunters! Well, Mitch must be part female then because he's absolutely incredible! He'll never let it rest!
If anybody can get this bat, Mitch can, but of course that further freaks mom out because she does NOT want to see Mitch with a bat in his clutches! OMG, the thought of it just makes mom's skin crawl! We're hoping the caustic ash in there helps Mr. Bat to find his eternal resting place REAL fast! But in the meantime - Detective Mitch is on the case!

That's the latest excitement at our house!

So until next time..........

Love ya lots,

Maggie

33 comments:

  1. We have a lot of bats flying every night around the house.... VĂ©ronique loves them. She says they are so cute (I would not say "cute" but...). Sometimes that woman is strange ....
    Kiss, Faya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww...bats! They are pretty creepy, aren't they? My hooman sister, Yesenia, LOVES them. She even dressed up as a bat last Halloween! Hehehe :)

    Puggy kisses
    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not keen on bats my-self. Secrative nocturnal winged things!
    Can't imagine having them in the house... yuk, yuk! But, then I don't have detective Mitch to get on their case. LOL

    Hope it all works out well
    Pats to you both
    Blue
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!! We've had a bat or two in our house in the middle of the night before too. We know just how you feel. Our Mommy was so afraid that she wouldn't get out of the bed in the night for a month. IT'S SCARY.

    Mitch looks like a great detective. Keep at it Mitch....

    Love, Seadra and Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG MAGGIE!

    How scariest! I am with your Mom on this one! We hate bats here!

    Your Friend,

    Putter ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes - Wild Kingdom intha house....

    Oh bats not indoor pets.....

    Great job Mitch...keep you eyes on him......

    ReplyDelete
  7. a bat? GROSS. maggie, your comment for me made my human mom laugh so hard. We both re looked at the first picture and it DOES look like I have cleavage! hehe your silly maggie! Keep on huntin for them bats!

    Kaui

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggzie,
    pleez tell Mitchy to make the bat go away befowe I come visit, cause my Mommi and I,Asta awe both super scawed of batses...eeek...you're vewy bwave to live in the countwy...we don't have bats or snakes here,thank dogness.
    Mommi used Dove soap, heheheh
    smoochie kisses till I see you
    Asta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Maggie - the contest entries are up! Check 'em out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Maggie.
    I've never seen a bat in my life but my mom says they are scary! I can't imagine being awaken by their noise!
    I hope you get rid of him soon!
    Take care
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!.. Bats!!.. yikes!!.. Bet Mitch will scare them away.. try not to bite them cause u won't know if there are 'poisonous' heehee..

    I think u guys should start netting all your windows..and doors..hahah..

    Love
    Golden Rossi

    ReplyDelete
  12. maggie, you look like a badminton player with the racquet there.

    so did mitch terrorize the bat until the bat give up and fly away?

    wet wet licks

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! A bat! YUK!!! That's worse than a mouse, I think. I don't even like his picture. SHUDDER!! At least my little mouse was cute. (By the way, I think he moved out since we don't buy him peanuts anymore.)

    I hope your bat problems are solved. Bats are for baseball.

    Lots of Koobuss Kisses,
    Kooby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! A bat! YUK!!! That's worse than a mouse, I think. I don't even like his picture. SHUDDER!! At least my little mouse was cute. (By the way, I think he moved out since we don't buy him peanuts anymore.)

    I hope your bat problems are solved. Bats are for baseball.

    Lots of Koobuss Kisses,
    Kooby

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen a bat but they sure look scary from the picture. Be careful!

    love,
    Preston

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I've never seen a bat. I'm sure you could've caught one in your teeth if your mom let you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Its like a scene from a scary movie. Its not even a little bat, its huge!!

    Simba xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh bats! Hand me over that racket, I'll whack it for ya! Have you tot another idea of getting rid of it? Light a fire in the fireplace(I know, how sick! But is there any other options?) Maybe that will help but that you'll still need to put your hand in & light the place up. Heehee! Good luck to your mom!

    Love licks,
    Solid Gold Dancer

    ReplyDelete
  19. G'day Maggie,

    We have lots of bats in Melbourne. My mum thinks they're cool.

    xxx Asta down under

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Maggie! We have a bat that lives under our upper deck outside. We think he's COOL! and he eats tons of mosquitoes! Mom loves that about him, and talks to him while she waters the deck plants. She keeps telling him to invite his friends over, too. We want them OUTSIDE, though! I think that's a big difference!
    Play bows,
    Zim
    PS: Amber said to tell your dad that you are supposed to play badminton with a BIRDIE, not a BAT! Ha roo roo roo! Amber's silly! Ha roo roo roo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, you've just totally freaked out my mom who now swears she never wants to live in the country or have a fire place. she's a total chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coooool... I'd love to get a shot at that!

    Actually, I could lend you my orange tabby Kafka - he'd have that thing out of your house (and most likely in his mouth) in minutes...

    Love,
    Bogart

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohmygosh Maggie & Mitch... check out Oscars blog, it's very very very sad...

    Love,
    Bogart

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ewwww! You get bats in your house???? That would drive me insane! I'd have to be on guard ALL THE TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey that Mitch really works for his kibble!

    Hey guys meet us in chat 9 am EST 9 pm Singapore time - peemail me if you need that addres

    Bussie Kissies
    Buster

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh! I see why your mom is stressed. We had one of those in our house and we had to stun it and catch it and take it outside. And by "we" I mean Mr. J who took care of it while we sat in the bedroom and listened. My sissy (Morgan) and I had no interest in it. I think Ethel would be like Mitch.

    wally.

    ps. We've had a MOUSE in our house but it appears to ahve gone away. Before they got me, my peoples had RATS in their house and they totally stressed her out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tank would be all over that thing! Then he'd let it go! Thanks for your kind comments on my entry! Hope you don't have more scary events.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OOHH - BATS!! YUCKY. My mom hates bats - they used to get in her house in NY and they got into Grammas house too!!

    Mom says she cries and leaves the house when they come in - Mitch is very brave!!

    Oh and that was a lovely rememberance of Oscar - we miss him too.

    Have a good week guys -

    Love,Dory, Mac and Liza

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Maggie! Love your entry in Nanook's contest! We're all so sad about Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  30. my house used 2 had bat too.....initially v notice his droppings....then later v realized he was actually hanging up side down on our air-conditioned..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Maggie & Mitch!!

    You guys must have some homing device that bats like, or they are like siamese cats who love to cozy up to the very people who do not like them. (Maybe bats & siamese cats are related).

    Mitch, stay on the job! I'm sure you'll figure something out.

    Maggie, take care of your mama. Do as the mama whisperer says... if you exude calm, assertive energy she will follow your queue...

    Goober love,
    Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  32. i've never seen a bat before.. but mommy kept saying "ewww" when looking at your photos..

    but i do like badminton racquets!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh no. I hope the bat got out fine. Yikes!!!
    Hugs,
    Sitka

    ReplyDelete